George Braunstein, FACHE, has 40 years of experience in the health and human service industry, leading both private and public organizations – in institutional and ambulatory settings.
While working with OPEN MINDS, Mr. Braunstein has completed an array of projects. From strategic planning for Intellectual and Developmental Disability and Brain Injury services to mergers and acquisitions, Mr. Braunstein is comfortable tackling challenges in any health and human service environment. He has experience with multi-agency networks and recently has served as the head of Delaware State Hospital. Mr. Braunstein has provided them with stability and direction as they determine the future of their business.
Prior to joining OPEN MINDS, Mr. Braunstein served as Executive Director of the Fairfax-Falls Church Community Services Board (CSB) in Fairfax, Virginia, which provides community-based mental health, substance abuse, and developmentally disabled services. During his six-year tenure with the CSB, which had a $150+ million budget and over 1,200 employees, he both reduced the budget and increased service access. Mr. Braunstein also developed the organization’s first fully integrated service model that combines mental health, substance use treatment, and primary care services.
Before his role in Fairfax County, Mr. Braunstein was the Executive Director of the Chesterfield County CSB. In his eight years in that role, he restructured management to flatten the organization, which improved both service and budget performance and eliminated a $1.5 million deficit with no reductions in staff.
Mr. Braunstein also served as the Executive Director of Behavioral Health for Aurora Health Care in Milwaukee – the largest integrated health care system in Wisconsin with 13 hospitals, 20,000 employees and $1.5 billion in annual revenues. He was responsible for the management of all aspects of a $40 million, 800-employee multi-site integrated behavioral health service delivery system. Mr. Braunstein brings managed care experience to the OPEN MINDS team, having served as the director of behavioral health for Family Health Plan Cooperative, a Wisconsin HMO.
Well respected in the behavioral health community, Mr. Braunstein is a fellow with the American College of Healthcare Executives (ACHE) and has served on several boards of local and national associations. He has previously been involved with organizations such as the SAMHSA National Leadership Council, the National Association of Community Behavioral Health, the Virginia Association of Community Services Board, and the Hilliard House.
Mr. Braunstein is a certified clinical specialist in adult psychiatry and is a licensed advanced practice nurse practitioner in the state of Wisconsin. He received his Master of Science in Community Mental Health Nursing and his Bachelor’s in Nursing from the University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee. He also earned a Bachelor’s degree in History Education from Rockford College. In continuing education, Mr. Braunstein completed psychotherapy training from the Family Studies Center at Northwestern University and the University of Virginia Senior Executive Leadership Institute.
COVID-19 Risk Management Plan August 11, 2021
We are excited to return to sunny southern California for The 2021 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute at the picturesque Newport Beach Marriott Hotel & Spa, August 23-26, 2021. To help plan your in-person attendance, visit https://openminds.com/live-mbpi/ for a schedule of events happening throughout the week.
The resurgence of the COVID Delta variant has certainly created new challenges for the country and for our families. Fortunately, the available COVID vaccinations have been very successful in preventing symptomatic infections and illness. But I did want to let you know that our team at OPEN MINDS is committed to making our executive events as safe as possible and have an active risk management plan in place. I wanted to share with you the key elements of our plan:
- Masking. Every participant will receive a mask as part of their registration materials. Unvaccinated people will be required to wear masks – and vaccinated attendees will be encouraged to wear masks. If the local or state governments have more restrictive standards (including mandatory masking or requiring proof of vaccination) at the time of our institutes, we will follow those standards.
- Social Distancing. We are working with the event venue to hold all sessions in the largest possible rooms with seating as far apart as possible. In order to accomplish this, we ask that you select in advance the sessions you plan to attend in-person at the event venue. This will assist us with room and seating arrangements.
- Outdoor Events. Where possible, we will use outdoor spaces for networking events and smaller sessions.
- Hand Sanitation. Hand sanitation stations are available throughout the event venue and hand sanitizer is included in your registration materials, courtesy of our partner, Qualifacts+Credible.
- Virtual Sessions. Every session will be partially or fully available in a virtual capacity:
- We are livestreaming via GoToWebinar our plenary sessions – keynote addresses and plenary panels. You can participate online from your hotel room (or from your home office if you can’t attend on-site). We will be accepting questions from both the onsite and online audiences.
- Each executive seminar is being offered at two separate times, one live at the event venue and the other exclusively for virtual attendees.
- We are recording the audio for each session – and will post the audio along with presentation materials after each session.
- A virtual exhibit hall will be available with access to all exhibitor contact information, product demos, and engagement opportunities.
We will continue to monitor any changes in the CDC recommendations for the continued safety of the public. If you have any concerns or questions, feel free to reach out to a member of our team at firstname.lastname@example.org or by phone at 877-350-6463. We look forward to seeing you at The 2021 OPEN MINDS Management Best Practices Institute.
Chief Executive Officer