Optum awarded $1.4 million in maternal health grants and will provide pro bono services to five community organizations aimed at improving maternal health outcomes and increasing health care access for underserved populations. These grants are part of several initiatives by Optum and its parent company, UnitedHealth Group, to address maternal health outcomes and disparities across the United States.
The five community organizations awarded grants include:
- Community of Hope – based in Washington, D.C.; $500,000 to serve more pregnant women – primarily persons of color and low-income – in their comprehensive, community-centered maternal and infant health program.
- Wake Forest Baptist Health – based in Winston Salem, North Carolina; $200,000 to create a program that will identify, in clinics and upon hospital admission, pregnant women suffering from intimate partner violence, to provide support and resources.
- Cradle Cincinnati – based in Cincinnati, Ohio; $400,000 to reduce preterm births among Black women by expanding Cradle Cincinnati’s infant mortality reduction strategy to other cities in the United States.
- Ladies of Hope Ministries (LOHM) – based in New York City; $200,000 to provide doula training, certification, and birth support for current and formerly incarcerated pregnant women.
- Morehouse School of Medicine – based in Atlanta; $95,000 to support research to gain a better understanding of “Maternal Near Miss (MNM)” among Black women. A MNM is when a woman nearly dies, but survives, from a complication during pregnancy or childbirth, or within 42 days of termination of pregnancy. The study will recruit and interview 120 women who represent underserved markets including Georgia, Louisiana, New Jersey and Washington, D.C.
To date, UnitedHealth Group has provided more than $11 million in philanthropic grants to support maternal health. Optum is an information and technology-enabled health services business.
This was reported by Optum on June 30, 2021.
Contact information: Optum, 11000 Optum Circle, Eden Prairie, Minnesota 55344; 952-205-8230; Email: email@example.com; Website: https://www.optum.com/