Start Corporation and St. Tammany Parish in Louisiana opened the Safe Haven Crisis Receiving Center on the campus of the former Southeast Louisiana Hospital. The Crisis Receiving Center is a Level III facility with 23 short-stay beds, two nurses stations, a nourishment station, and other amenities. It provides identification, intervention and stabilization for those in a behavioral health crisis and provides an alternative to the emergency room or jail. The average stay is between 24 to 72 hours. The center is operated by the non-profit Start Corporation.
Opening the center was among the recommendations of a 2014 study of the Parish’s behavioral health system. The report recommended that the Parish create a short-term assessment and stabilization facility for people in behavioral health crisis to reduce over utilization of law enforcement, emergency certificates, emergency room visits, and jail. The Parish purchased the campus in 2015, and began transforming the former state mental hospital property into a behavioral health campus to be called Safe Haven. In 2019, the Parish announced plans for the Safe Haven Crisis Receiving Center.
Additionally, in May 2021, the Parish broke ground on the 4,000-square-foot training and education center for law enforcement officers and others who work with people needing behavioral health services. The training center is slated to open in the winter of 2022. About 90% of the funding for the construction project is from state capital outlay funds, local public health funding, from St. Tammany’s share of the Deepwater Horizon settlement. The Safe Haven Foundation is providing the remaining 10%, which will cover the furnishings. When the building is complete the parish will seek an organization to provide the training center services.
Start Corporation provides supportive housing, case management, and clinical services to persons with low income and/or behavioral, physical or developmental challenges or disabilities.
This was reported by Safe Haven Campus on October 25, 2021.