GETTYSBURG, Pa. (September 12, 2021) – The 2021 OPEN MINDS Executive Leadership Retreat is kicking off on Monday, September 20, with a focus on building the skills of health and human service leaders in just four short days. The retreat has dozens of sessions and experiential learning activities designed to help executives refresh, renew, and prepare for transformational leadership in the year head.
“As we see the looming crisis in the field—crisis of consumer demand, of workforce, of sustainability—leaders need new skills,” said OPEN MINDS Chief Executive Officer, Monica E. Oss. “Our retreat is the only event designed specifically to create the leaders that can move health and human service organizations to post-pandemic success.”
Monday, September 20 Highlights
- Don’t miss the 2021 Mergers, Acquisitions, & Affiliations Summit! In the first quarter of this year, over $852 billion was invested in the health care field. Learn first-hand about what those investors are looking for from Todd Rudsenske, Partner, Webster Equity Partners; Jeremy Gelber, M.D., Senior Managing Director, Centerbridge; and Jonathan Morphett, Managing Partner, Avondale Partners, LLC.
- Learn how to make your board work for you in our seminar, “Aligning Your Board To The New Sustainability Challenge: An OPEN MINDS Seminar On Non-Profit Management.” This is a hands-on “how to” session led by two former CEOs who have “been there and done that.”
- Create a framework for your organization to increase revenue with social service programs in the afternoon program, “How To Build An SDoH Foundation Within Your Whole-Person Care Organization.”
Tuesday, September 21
- Meet Angela Perri, the Chief Medicare Officer of UPMC Health Plan. She will open the day with her keynote “Leading A Technology Transformation—Tech & Analytics to Improve The Consumer & Clinical Professional Experience,” followed by a one-on-one session with her.
- Learn the historical leadership lessons of General John Buford by touring the Gettysburg National Military Park with historian Bob Prosperi and OPEN MINDS Senior Associate Ken Carr in the session, “Positioning For Success – General John Buford & The High Ground: The Beginning Of The Battle Of Gettysburg.” Mr. Prosperi was the historian who accompanied world leaders Jimmy Carter, Menachem Begin, and Anwar Sadat on their historic tour of Gettysburg.
- Then, do your networking in style at the Gettysburg National Military Park Museum. OPEN MINDS has rented the entire museum for the evening, and attendees can see the exhibits in a small group (rather than the thousands of tourists that are there each day). And, Wayne Motts, Chief Executive Officer of the Gettysburg Foundation, will give the group a history of this very special collection of artifacts.
Wednesday, September 22
- Have one-on-one time with Carole Matyas, Vice President of Centene’s Sunshine Health Plan. Centene is now the health insurer with the most Medicaid enrollees in the country—and attendees will learn first-hand Centene’s plans for managing behavioral health in Ms. Matyas’ keynote, The Future Of Managing Care For Consumers With An SMI—What Works, and the deep dive session that follows.
- Learn how to navigate the many challenges of the current environment with rising costs and tight rates, in the seminar, The New CFO Challenge: An OPEN MINDS Seminar On Keeping Your Cost In Sync With Your Rates In A Changing Market. This deep dive is led by two former chief financial officers who provide a framework for cost management and pricing.
- See Gettysburg from the top of the famous Little Round Top with historian Colonel Fred Wieners and OPEN MINDS Senior Associate Joe Naughton-Travers. In this session, Strategic Decision-Making In Times Of Change – Colonel Joshua Chamberlain & Little Round Top: Defending The Union Line, the leadership lessons of Joshua Chamberlain (most famously played by Jeff Daniels in the movie Gettysburg) are translated for health and human service executives.
Thursday, September 23
- Think outside the box with historian Jeffrey D. McCausland in his session, What Can Modern Leaders Learn From Leadership During The Battle Of Gettysburg? He is the author of Battle Tested!: Gettysburg Leadership Lessons for 21st Century Leaders and will provide perspectives on leadership in these trying times. (For the early risers, he is also leading a walk on the battlefield at 6:30 a.m.)
- Hike the amazing fields of Pickett’s Charge with historian Terry Fox and OPEN MINDS Senior Associate Kim Bond. This session, Leading In Times Of Uncertainty—Generals Lee& Longstreet At Pickett’s Charge: The High-Water Mark Of The Confederacy, focuses on the importance of communication in leadership—and provides important lessons for health care executives.
- In the final session of the retreat, join OPEN MINDS Chief Executive Officer, Monica E. Oss, for her remarks, The Leadership Formula For Post-Pandemic Success—A Roadmap For Leading Health & Human Service Organizational Transformation. In this all-new session, Ms. Oss will provide an up-to-the-minute update on market developments shaping strategy and her new framework for leading organizational transformation.
For executives who can’t make it to the retreat in person, Additionally, selected sessions will be livestreamed:
- Livestream on Monday, 9/20 from 8:00 a.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET: The OPEN MINDS Mergers, Acquisitions, & Affiliations Summit: Improving Competitive Advantage In The ‘Next Normal’
- Livestream on Monday, 9/20 from 1:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET: How to Build an SDoH Foundation within Your Whole-Person Care Organization sponsored by NextGen Healthcare
- Livestream on Tuesday, 9/21 from 8:30 a.m. – 9:00 a.m. ET: The 2021 OPEN MINDS Survey: Trends In Specialty Provider Organization Executive Compensation & Retention presented by Monica E. Oss, Chief Executive Officer, OPEN MINDS
- Livestream on Tuesday, 9/21 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. ET: Leading A Technology Transformation—Tech & Analytics To Improve The Consumer & Clinical Professional Experience – Keynote presentation by Angela L. Perri, Chief Medicare Officer, UPMC Health Plan
- Livestream on Wednesday, 9/22 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. ET: The Future Of Managing Care For Consumers With An SMI—What Works – Keynote presentation by Carol Matyas, Vice President Operations, Sunflower Health Plan
- Livestream on Wednesday, 9/22 from 11:30 a.m. – 12:45 p.m. ET: Technology Leadership Requires More Than The Sum Of The Parts – Lunch & Learn, sponsored by Netsmart, presented by Neal Tilghman, MPA, General Manager, Integrated Care, Netsmart
- Livestream on Wednesday, 9/22 from 1:00 p.m. – 2:15 p.m. ET: Transform Your Integrated Health Care Practice – Product Demo, sponsored by Health Information Management Systems, presented by Kirk Masters, Chief Business Development Officer, Health Information Management Systems
- Livestream on Thursday, 9/23 from 9:00 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. ET: What Can Modern Leaders Learn From Leadership During The Battle Of Gettysburg? – Keynote presentation by Jeffrey D. McCausland, Ph.D., Author & Visiting Professor at Dickinson College
- Livestream on Thursday, 9/23 from 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. ET: Leading Organizational Transformation To The ‘Next Normal’ — Beyond Strategic Planning To Strategic Success – Keynote presentation by Monica E. Oss, Chief Executive Officer, OPEN MINDS
In addition, a podcast of every session along with corresponding presentation materials will be made available on the event website after the Institute. And, both on-site seminars will be offered live virtually as well:
- Virtual Seminar on Wednesday, 9/22 from 9:00 a.m. – 12:30 p.m. ET: Aligning Your Board To The New Sustainability Challenge: An OPEN MINDS Seminar On Non-Profit Management
- Virtual Seminar on Wednesday, 9/22 from 12:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. ET: The New CFO Challenge: An OPEN MINDS Seminar On Keeping Your Cost In Sync With Your Rates In A Changing Market
Partners supporting the retreat include:
- NextGen Healthcare
- Qualifacts + Credible
- NextGen Healthcare
- Bells ai
- Remarkable Health
- Otsuka Market Access
- Health Information Management Systems
To view the full agenda, all faculty, and for more information about the institute, visit: https://leadership.openminds.com/agenda.
Registration for this exclusive institute is and is now available at https://openminds.com/register-now-elr. For Elite-level subscribers to OPEN MINDS Circle market intelligence services, all registration fees are included in the subscription. For more information on the program, sponsorship opportunities, or media inquiries, contact the Executive Education & Events team, at 877-350-6463 or email@example.com.
ABOUT OPEN MINDS
OPEN MINDS is a national market intelligence, management consulting, and marketing services firm specializing exclusively in the markets of the health and human service field that serve consumers with chronic conditions and complex support needs. OPEN MINDS’ mission is to provide payers, service provider organizations, and technology and scientific firms that serve these consumers with the market and management knowledge needed to improve their organizational efficiency and effectiveness.